Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

International Bereaved Mother's Day

Today is my Mother's Day.




A day to honor the mommy's who have lost a child or children and may not be remembered next Sunday. Most people don't think to include us in traditional Mother's Day because we have no child to declare we are a parent. But we are, as many lovely friends and family have told me, Mothers.


Here is what Carly Marie has to say about International Bereaved Mother's Day -

"Today is International Bereaved Mothers Day! This day was created by us in 2010 and it now falls on the first Sunday of every May.

This special day was created to honour and celebrate mothers who carry some if not all of their children in their hearts rather than their arms. In our modern day society, mothers who are grieving the death of their babies and children are usually forgotten. The traditional Mothers Day has proven to be an emotionally difficult day for so many mothers around the world.

On this day each year we come together to celebrate our connection, our babies and children and our hope for the future. We look at their ultrasound photos, polish their urns, lay flowers at their graves, visit special places and light candles in their memory.

Sunday May 6th 2012, get together with your closest friends and family who understand and celebrate you. Celebrate your children.

To help raise awareness for this beautiful day take some flowers from the flower gallery below. Post them as your profile image on your favourite social network. Post them on your friends walls on facebook and let them know they are beautiful mothers. Please feel welcome to use the images on your blogs or websites."

Untied in grief we find recognition and strength.

Wishing you all love and blessings for our Mothers Day.

With light,
Carly Marie


I've gotten some beautiful sand butterflies from Carly Marie and have them displayed in my home. I love seeing them when I walk into our room, when I visit my sister's, or when I open M & A's memory book. I think having a day separate from Mother's Day to remember that we are indeed mothers, just in a special situation, is very healing.

Today I am glad to celebrate, because I get to celebrate being Michael and Alena's mother. I love being their mom.

So I want to take a moment to remember all the women who are uncelebrated mothers. The ones who had children and lost them. The mothers who miscarried or lost their child(ren) to preterm labor, stillbirth, or SIDS.

It's a beautiful day here in Washington, so I will go and sit in the sun and think of all of you. I will send out my love and my condolences and I'll wish you a Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. This post gave me goosebumps

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE a Mother! And a damn good one at that! I love you! XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...